Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: KSU Stadium: 36,201 occupants  (Read 2957 times)

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
KSU Stadium: 36,201 occupants
« on: March 25, 2009, 08:23:19 am »

We've been testing for the last few days in anticipation of the initial release and I put together a very rough version of a stadium model based on a seating diagram I found on the web (see attached).  We're based in Manhattan KS, so Bill Snyder Family Stadium is where I go to watch football games.

I was able to simulate 36201 occupants in about 8 hours.  The 3D results worked fine, even with the human models turned on.  It probably helped quite a bit that there were no seating rows and occupants were allowed to exit when they reached the back of their seating corrals, but I was happy with the big number of people in the simulation.

I thought it was nice that this background image was fairly easy to get to the proper scale because I was able to calibrate based on the 100 yard distance between the end zones.  I populated the stadium by selecting all of my seating areas and doing a 0.3 m2/pers fill.  The stadium is currently advertised as holding 52,000 people, but that includes the upper deck and the boxes which I didn't model.  In 1968 its capacity was 30,000 which is pretty close and I think did not include the extended seating boxes behind the normal seats.

Unfortunately, as a test it was successful because I found two separate places where occupants became stuck after everyone else had cleared out.  We're trying to lock that down before the release in accordance with our "nobody get's stuck" mission.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Stadium: 36,201 occupants
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:24:10 am »

Here's a picture with real people.