Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Download Link Broken...  (Read 2756 times)

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Download Link Broken...
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »

I just intentionally broke the download link for Pathfinder 2009.0306.  We found another issue where the installer shared a GUID with the PyroSim installer.  This one prevents the Pathfinder start menu items from disappearing when PyroSim is also installed.

We're making sure this is the last we'll see of this problem before we post again.  A new download link should be up later today or tomorrow morning.  Sorry about the delay.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Download Link Broken...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:43:23 am »

The download is available again.  All of our installer GUID issues should be taken care of.

If you're curious where these troubles came from...

For the early beta, I cobbled together an installer using the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS).  NSIS is nice because it's simple, it lets you package up a bunch of files, then dump them on the target computer - as well as some other installer niceties.

The "new installer technology" I've been mentioning uses the Microsoft install system.  There is a tool called WIX that lets you create MSI installers based on XML files.  It uses Windows' internal database which maps GUIDs onto installed components.  MSI makes certain things like updating a bit nicer and helps manage dependencies, but the globally unique identifiers (GUIDs) really have to be globally unique to prevent weird stuff from happening.

I reused some code from PyroSim's installer source file and didn't catch all of the GUIDs - and we got weird stuff.