Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: montecarlo_createcases.bat specify parameters to be randomised?  (Read 64 times)

SFC

• View Profile
montecarlo_createcases.bat specify parameters to be randomised?
« on: November 22, 2019, 09:04:22 am »

Hi,

I wanted to use the montecarlo_createcases.bat to analyse the effect of occupants initial starting positions on the floor and overall evacuation times. I have noticed that changing the position of a single occupant in a room with 200 occupants can change the local and global evacuation times up to 10s of seconds. This makes it difficult to select simulation runs for comparison. Is it the worst case? How can I tell? The effect is also greater than I would have expected.

I hoped that Monte Carlo would help with this problem and I was pleased to see the facility available (although I couldn't find any mention of it in any of the documentation provided with Pathfinder). The problem I am having now is, while the occupants positions are being randomised, they are being randomised around the entire model, rather than randomised in their room of origin. This is unfortunate as I need to have each floor level's occupants assigned to a profile that is specific to that floor. This is in order to restrict which egress elements they use when they leave their original floor, by assigning "accepted profiles" to doors on other floors, that will not admt them. 

I can't see anyway I can affect what parameters are randomised, and how they are randomised. Is there a way?

As a side, while at some stage in the future I may be interested in modelling populations with distributed parameters, at the moment I just want to have all occupants with the same movement parameters. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but can you please confirm that if I use the montecarlo batch file, it won't modify parameters that are set to constant?

Thanks in advance.