Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Sloped Seating  (Read 4047 times)

abmvd7

Sloped Seating
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:50:38 am »

Any ideas on how to model sloped seating (aka movie theater style) using imported DXF files?

Richard O'Konski

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Sloped Seating
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:34:30 am »

I'm not exactly sure how your theatre is layed out, but I'll assume you have some flat portions that I'll call landings and some ramps connecting those landings. There are a couple options available to create this:

1) If your dxf is 3D you can use the 3D room extraction tool in the 3d view.  To use it, click the button labelled "Ext."  Next click somewhere on the floor. The room with ramps should be created automatically.
2) If you have a 2D dxf, then you can use the 2D floor extraction tool to make the landings and then connect the landings with stairs to make the ramps.  To use the 2D floor extraction tool, for each landing select the lines in the dxf that make that landing, and from the "Model" menu, select "Extract Rooms..."  To make the stairs (ramps), use the two-edge stair tool.

If you do not want to use stairs to make the ramps, another method is to make a room and rotate it about the X or Y axis.  This method is a bit trickier, however, because you'll either need to place doors between the "ramps" and their adjoining rooms or merge the ramp and rooms into one room.  In either case, the ramp and room need to line up nearly perfectly.  I've attached a file that demonstrates this method of creating ramps.
Richard O'Konski
Thunderhead Engineering

abmvd7

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:45 am »

Are there instructions on how to use the extraction tool in the users manual? I can't seem to find anything.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:44:11 am »

Sorry, no instructions.  To use the extractor tool:

1. Select the Extractor tool (right now with an "ext" icon, in the next version it's sort of an expanding blob)
2. Click the imported geometry surface you want to extract.  The tool will attempt to create a floor along connected surfaces of the surface.

I think in March they're going to take away our compilers so we are forced to stop implementing fun new features and actually document some of this stuff...

johnni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:56 am »

I hope you are well

Stadium evacuation is a particular interest of mine - I really liked the example.  ;)

Best regards john