Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Cannot Visualize 3D Results  (Read 5258 times)

Annie

• View Profile
Cannot Visualize 3D Results
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »

Hi,

I recently downloaded the 2009 version of PathFinder. After running my simulation and clicking Results, nothing happens. How can I access the 3D Results Viewer?

Thank you for your help,

Annie

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Visualize 3D Results
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:56:17 pm »

There is a problem where the Start Menu link is pointed to the wrong location - but I'm not sure that's what you're seeing.  Are you unable to launch the 3D results from within Pathfinder? (either from the Simulation menu, or the button in the Run Simulation dialog)

We've found that the 3D results won't work properly when we try to load results from our 20,000 occupant problem if it runs for more than a minute or so.  Did you do a simulation with lots of occupants?

- Charlie

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:18:44 pm »

I'm having the same issue with visualization of the simulation results. I ran a simple test case, a one-floor scenario with 353 occupants.  The simulation completed, but the 3D results do not pop up automatically ("show results when finished" is checked), and when I click RESULTS nothing happens.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:02 am »

Is the 3D results program failing to show the results for just this one scenario, or is is failing for all scenarios? (i.e. you've never see the 3D results)

If it never runs at all, I may have failed to include some libraries in the installer for your operating system.  You can test that by trying to run the 3D results program (behemoth.exe) manually:

1. In a My Computer or Explorer window, browse to your Pathfinder installer directory (e.g. C:Program FilesPathfinder 2009)
2. Double-click behemoth.exe

If it gives you some sort of error message, please let me know the exact message, along with what operating system you are using.

- Charlie

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:54:12 pm »

I get an error that says "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I'm using Windows XP.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:37:43 am »

I just tested the current download of Pathfinder on a (relatively) fresh install of Windows XP and couldn't reproduce the problem.  Could you check two things for me?

1. The full version number of your Pathfinder installation - found in the Help/About dialog
2. Verify that the file "Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest" is present in the Pathfinder 2009lib directory.

Also, is this the first time you've installed Pathfinder on this computer or are there potentially old files lingering about?

- Charlie

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:03:49 pm »

I've been able to reproduce this bug and now I have what appears to be a working fix.

It looks like we aren't deploying some DLL files in the correct way to have them automatically loaded when the 3D results program needs them.  It's possible to manually patch by shuffling around the files in your current installation, but I've put together a ZIP file to make it a bit easier.  Here are the steps to fix the 3D results system:

1. Download the patch: www.thunderheadeng.net/download/pathfinder_libs_patch.zip
2. Extract the downloaded ZIP file to your Pathfinder installation folder (this should add a folder called Microsoft.VC90.CRT)

You should now be able to run 3D results - both by double-clicking behemoth.exe, and by starting within Pathfinder.