Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: FDS Cluster configuration  (Read 640 times)

HunGeorg

• View Profile
FDS Cluster configuration
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:42:05 am »

hi Everyone,

I hope someone could help me. I have 20 meshes with about 5500 cells in each mesh. I have four computer and I would like to run fds cluster. I can run the fds, but I think with a better configuration it should be better.
I do not understand in that case should I have use the "OpenMP Enviroment" setup or not. And if I should use is, what is the optimal configuration with four computers with six-core processors in each other.

Thank You in advance,

Georg

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: FDS Cluster configuration
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:17:29 am »

I think you'd be best served by using 6 x 20000 cell meshes. The simulation is far faster when it's run on a single computer than when it's spread over a network using the cluster option. Cluster configurations should be reserved for situations where there isn't enough memory on one computer to run the simulation.

OpenMP is useful when you can't divide the mesh into exactly six (in your case) meshes. If, for example, you were forced to use 3 meshes, then you would get a modest improvement in performance by setting the "OpenMP Threads MPI" option to 2 (allowing two threads of execution per mesh). That would allow all six of your cores to engage with the problem. We have a post going into more detail on OpenMP here: https://www.thunderheadeng.com/2014/08/openmp-benchmarks/

HunGeorg

• View Profile
Re: FDS Cluster configuration
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 08:54:34 am »

Dear Charlie!

Thank you for the answer! I will try it that way.

George