Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Recommended Specs for PyroSim?  (Read 904 times)

andydv

• View Profile
Recommended Specs for PyroSim?
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:59:42 am »

I am currently looking to build a PC that will run Pyrosim, and other simulation programs. Can anyone let me know what they think the best choice would be in terms of CPU/GPU/RAM for this build? Thanks in advance

Richard O'Konski

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Specs for PyroSim?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:46:31 am »

It depends a lot on the types of simulations you will run, such as the number of cells you want in your model, what you hope to visualize, your budget, etc. Generally, I would recommend the following:

- A fast CPU. In our experience, it's better to get a processor with high clock speeds per core rather than lots of cores. We like to use Intel i7s in our office.
- A discrete mid- to high-range gaming GPU. Nvidia Geforce and AMD Radeon cards will do great. Integrated Intel is getting better but still lags pretty far behind. Generally I like Nvidia, but if you will need to use remote desktop to log into this computer, I would recommend AMD or Intel over Nvidia, as Nvidia doesn't support OpenGL over remote desktop. If you really want to use Nvidia and remote log-in to this PC, you'll either need a Quadro card ($$$) or use VNC software instead of remote desktop.
- At least 16 GB RAM.
- An SSD hard drive with at least 500 GB space or a fast HDD.
Richard O'Konski
Thunderhead Engineering