Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Burners configuration  (Read 796 times)

tarara

• View Profile
Burners configuration
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:00:08 am »

Dear sirs
I would like to model a storage rack fire; In reality the fire dynamics and the flame spread should be similar to the showed in the picture 1. In order to model this scenario, I would like to know the best practice in order to stablish the burners. For example, is better to stablish 2D horizontal burner surfaces or on the contrary is better to stablish 2D vertical burner surfaces?
The problem isn’t the way to stablish the fire curve (HRR/Time), the question is about the best configuration of the burners.
For example, imagine in the picture number 2 that I want to stablish 6MW fire on the bottom of the storage in my model, would be better to stablish two 3mw horizontal surface as we can see in the picture or on the contrary would be better to stablish vertical and horizontal 1MW burners surfaces or perhaps only vertical etc.
What is the best practice?
Are there validation studies or useful information about this subject?
Best regarsd.

jharbold

• View Profile
Re: Burners configuration
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 10:07:01 am »

Since you have real life data that you are attempting to replicate in the model, I would recommend trying both.  I'm sure each direction has its own pros and cons.  Perform a quick sensitivity study with each approach and see which result not only matches the expected results, but makes sense in terms of physics and thermodynamic outputs.