Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Stop - Resume  (Read 1149 times)

Niklas

• View Profile
Stop - Resume
« on: March 28, 2018, 06:25:58 am »

Hi,

I am running my simulation for the past 28 hours and it's going to run for 34 more hours. If I stop my simulation and Resume it later will my simulation start from where I stopped or from initial.

I read in pyrosim manual and tried one simple simulation it resumed from where i stopped, but one of my colleague said he lost his data while resuming it.
so anyone please suggest me how to keep my data safe .

Thanks.

owentrue

• View Profile
Re: Stop - Resume
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 06:33:05 am »

Yes, from my experience, I want to say that you will lose data. So once an hour, copy and save data in txt.

JessyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:11:29 am »

I tried to do this as mentioned above, it doesn't work. Don't waste your time.I've been trying to get a job lately, but it's quite difficult nowadays. I was advised by a friend to improve my resume, as he says it looks boring. However, I'm don't want to pay $ 200 for a piece of paper, so I want to try writing by myself. I found a cool site https://copymyresume.com/, where you can find a lot of information about the resume. A variety of guides, resume samples, and so on. I've already learned a lot of interesting things. I hope I can do it!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:45:54 pm by JessyJ »

Dave McGill

• View Profile
    • firemodel.ca
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 02:09:28 pm »

It depends.

Restarting a simulation requires a .RESTART file for each mesh in the simulation. PyroSim has a default setting to have FDS write these files every 300 s (Analysis -> Simulation Parameter -> Output -> Restart). So, with the default setting, the simulation has to run for > 300s for a restart to be possible.  If the simulation runs for 599 s and dies due to a power failure, then it will restart at 300 s. If it runs to 601 s, then it will restart at 600 s.

If you run FDS through the PyroSim interface, then there are two options; you can Kill the job or Stop the job. If you choose the latter, then the .RESTART files are written as the job shuts down.

See section 7.3 of the FDS Users Guide.

The developers describe the restart feature as being fragile; it has become more reliable over the years, but the longer the simulation has run, the less likely you are to be able to successfully restart it.

Dave
Dave McGill
firemodel.ca

JoanneFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 02:44:06 am »

I tried to do this as mentioned above, it doesn't work. Don't waste your time.I've been trying to get a job lately, but it's quite difficult nowadays. I was advised by a friend to improve my resume, as he says it looks boring. However, I'm don't want to pay $ 200 for a piece of paper, so I want to try writing by myself. I found a cool site https://copymyresume.com/, where you can find a lot of information about the resume. A variety of guides, resume samples, and so on. I've already learned a lot of interesting things. I hope I can do it!

Where can I find some more feedback?