Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Error in Behemoth.exe  (Read 8668 times)

andrea

• View Profile
Error in Behemoth.exe
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:38:55 am »

Hi,

I'm using Pathfinder since october, end now I've refreshed the file Pathfinder beta version licence, according to yours instructions, sent me by mail.
Unfortunately, Pathfinder start correctly, but when I'd like to visualize the calculation results, the program Behemoth.exe start, but suddenly it appears a message of error and the program shut off.

I can't visualize the graphic results of my calculation.

It's a problem of the new licence or it's a problem of my PC?

Many thanks,
andrea

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Error in Behemoth.exe
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:54 am »

I can't think of a reason it would be the license - there's no special license handling for results (behemoth).  What does the error message say?

- Charlie

andrea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:12:54 am »

I don't remember exactly what the error message says because yersterday I was in another office and I was trying to work on a notebook (first) and then on a PC. Behemoth didn't start on both...

The error message was more or less: The program is meeting unexpected problems and it will close.

Today, in my office, where I usually work,  Pathfinder and Behemoth start correctly...
I don't konw what the problem was... 

Anyway, thanks.
andrea

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:46:29 am »

I suppose "unexpected" is seldom a helpful error message.

Try running the 3d results (behemoth) from the command-line.  There may be some additional output that can help us diagnose the problem.  To run from the command-line:

• Open a shell window by running cmd.exe
  • type cd "\Program Files\Pathfinder II (Beta)\behemoth"
  • type behemoth.exe
Send me a screen shot of the shell window (similar to attached image).

- Charlie

andrea

• View Profile
Error in Behemoth.exe
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:54:33 am »

Sorry, I can't send you a screen shot of the shell window because today I'm working in my office (Venice), but I've found the Behemoth problems when I was working in another office (head office).

In the head office, I've tried to work with two PC, but I think the problem may be the video card (the same for both).
It may be problems when the video card couldn't support the Behemoth requirement. Could it be?

(In fact, I've found difficulties also when I tried to visualize FDS results with Smokeview...Smokeview started correctly, but the pictures were low quality pictures...)

Do you think about it?

Many thanks,
andrea

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:26:51 am »

That sounds like a good theory to me.  You can externally tune down the 3D settings used in the results viewer by editing the behemoth.props file:

BehemothFrame.view.enableHardwareSkinning=false
BehemothFrame.view.enableLOD=false
BehemothFrame.view.enableVertexBuffers=false

Using those settings will cause the software to start with the fewest graphics card requirements.

- Charlie

enronc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:38:06 am »

Hi everybody, Charlie,
I am simulating some evacuation scenarios in tunnels and seems to appear the same problem that Andrea found. People appear walking outside the defined computational domain and then Behemot.exe crashes. My question is if the results are affected from this problem or is this problem only visual?
Here I post you the screenshot of the problem. I have tried to run the .pfr file but it is the same. 

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2797/errorpathfinder.jpg

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:18:47 am »

The first thing I''d do is make sure you''re running the latest version of Pathfinder.  In some of the older versions, you could get errors that would cause people to appear outside the simulated area.

It updating doesn''t help (or isn''t needed), try editing your props file and running from the command prompt using the method I mentioned earlier.  That may give us some additional information.

If you can to upload your PTH file, I can try to run it and look at the results.  If it''s a problem with the simulator, it should fail for me as well.

enronc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 10:37:22 am »

hi charlie,
I am using the newer version of PathFinder, so I do not think it is the problem. I have tried editing my .props file and running it from the command prompt with the method you mentioned above but the problem is the same. The strange thing is that running the same .pth file, it sometimes crashes during the visualization of the results and sometimes not. Does this depend on the fact that I ran several simulation of the same .pth file in a row?
I will send you by e-mail my .pth file so I hope you can help me.

Thank you in advance,
Enrico