Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: file problems  (Read 18806 times)

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
file problems
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:08:36 pm »

Hello,

I am new to Pathfinder and apologize if my problems have been previously addressed with other users.

I am using the 30 day trial and seeing if the program is useful for the work I do.

I imported a .psm file and the 3d building worked great. i created the rooms and stairwells and added roughly 2500 people. I ran the simulation and it worked very well. I ran into problems when trying to import a .dxf file of all the specific room elements such as desks, chairs, bookcases..etc. The program is grinding extremely slowly. I cannot run the simulation or edit geometry without the program crashing. What is the maximum file size that pathfinder can support? Is there a compatability issue importing different file types into one Pathfinder model? Should I import the .dxf into the pyrosim and then import the whole building as one?

Pathfinder is a great program and look forward to using it professionally very soon,

thank you very much for your time,

Colin Urie

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: file problems
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »

Try turning off Hierarchical Path Planning:

http://www.thunderheadeng.net/forum/index.php/topic,428.0.html

We should not have enabled the option by default. Turning the option off usually speeds up the simulation and reduces memory overhead.

To disable Hierarchical Path Planning:

1. On the Simulation menu, click Simulation Parameters...
2. In the Simulation Parameters dialog, click the Paths tab.
3. Click to clear the Use Hierarchical Path Planning box

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »

Hello,

I followed your directions and i didnt notice any change. Also I am getting this msg when trying to save " Pathfinder error - merlin.actions.savas: java heap space" and the file does not save.

should i start from scratch? and do you think importing the dxf into pyrosim first is worth trying?

thank you for your speedy reply,

Colin

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:18:32 am »

Importing first to PyroSim may help. If I had the DXF I might be able to give you some specific suggestions. You can email to: support@thunderheadeng.com if you''d like to work through it that way.

Here are a couple more things you can try:

1. Delete the 2D image generated from the imported DXF. You can find this image in the tree, within the floor containing your dxf import. It will be a child node of myfile.dxf (your DXF file name) and it will probably be disabled (have a line through it, gray text). Click that and delete it.

2. Increase the memory limit (heap size) used by Pathfinder. To do this, you need to modify the shortcut used to Start Pathfinder (to edit: In the Start menu, right click the Pathfinder 2009 shortcut, then click Properties). Use the attached image as a guide. If you go over 2/3 of the memory limit on your computer, the software will start to crash at strange time, or possibly not start.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:40:10 am »

I followed your concise directions and it worked wonders. thanks!

i am working on a newer computer with 4 gb ram and 2.93 ghz processor,

Could I use -mem2048 to use more ram effectively?

thanks again for the prompt reply.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:37:00 pm »

Sure, in theory you should be able to go as high as 3072 with your 4 GB of ram on a 64-bit machine. Though, it seems to get unreliable on some machines when you set the heap max to more than half of the available RAM.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:23:51 pm »

hi,

Pathfinder is giving me this error msg

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 02:03:05 pm »

Is it a reliable error, or does it only happen occasionally?

Does it happen with all of the files you try to open or just with one or a few (and where it does happen, is it consistent)?

Do you get a similar error when you try to save, or does it only show up when you try to open?

What operating system are you using? As I recall, some of the older versions of Java we''ve used had some icon-related trouble with Windows 7. If this turns out to be the problem I think we have a way to set Pathfinder''s look-and-feel to a much uglier version that doesn''t have icon problems, but I''ll wait until I get your answers before we go there.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 02:20:05 pm »

yes the error is reliable, it happens in all files and even with no file, whenever "open" or "import" is clicked under the file menu.

i am running windows 7 but this error only occured today and i have been using the program for over 2 weeks.

i used the program yesterday with no issues...

thanks for the speedy response

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 02:33:40 pm »

Okay, we''ll see if we can find out what is going on. When computers suddenly stop working on Tuesday, it usually means a Windows Update changed something overnight with an automatic update. I will check it out.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 02:36:17 pm »

thanks so much, i appreciate it

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 02:51:12 pm »

We weren''t able to reproduce the problem on a Windows 7 machine here, but that does not mean a whole lot. The ugly workaround is to run Pathfinder using Sun''s "Metal" look and feel. To run with the metal look and feel:

1. In the Windows Start Menu, right-click the Pathfinder 2009 shortcut and click Properties
2. In the Target box, after the last quote mark, add the following text:

-vmargs -Dos.name=linux

The Target should now be something like:

"C:Program Files (x86)Pathfinder 2009pathfinder.exe" -vmargs -Dos.name=linux

3. Click OK and left-click the shortcut to start Pathfinder.

The metal look and feel is a little hard on the eyes, but it should work until we release a new version with an updated Java VM.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »

thanks, i will try that,

what is the timeline for the update?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 09:23:29 am »

At the moment, the plan is for a minor update this Fall. However, it is early in the process and the plan could change a lot.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:18:27 am »

any luck on windows 7 update error?

i havent been able to successfully run a simulation in thr format that you suggested.

would it worthwile to uninstall the program and install it again?

Pages: [1] 2 3