Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: file problems  (Read 18649 times)

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: file problems
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:26:51 am »

Uninstall/reinstall is as good as anything I have. We have not been able to reproduce the problem at the office - making it much more difficult to understand the error.

Why haven''t you been able to run a simulation? When you start Pathfinder with the new Start Menu shortcut the UI should be all gray and ugly (see attached).  Is it? That should have worked around the problem you reported or at the very least, changed the error message.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:42:29 am »

yes, i have been using the grey, "ugly" version and i am able to open files and create the nav meshes, stairs and doors but when i run the simulation it just grinds and never begins the simulation. i tried leaving it to run overnight and came back to an error msg.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:46 am »

"java platform SE binary not responding"

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 09:58:04 am »

Not knowing where that error is occurring in the timeline, it is hard for me to learn much from it. However, I get the impression something bad has happened to the java runtime environment that use to run the software.

I recommend and uninstall-reboot-reinstall. After uninstalling and before reinstalling, you might want to make sure the install folder is completely deleted.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 10:52:30 am »

I have deleted the file rebooted my computer and have re-requested pthfinder from the site and am waiting for the email

thanks

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 04:20:44 pm »

i re-installed the program and received the same error msg when clicking "open" under the file menu.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 08:23:20 am »

It may be related to the initial folder the File/Open dialog is attempting to display. On your computer, there is a file named "pathfinder.props" that Pathfinder uses to remember certain settings from one session to the next. One of these settings is the last folder you used to open a file. Pathfinder tries to open this folder by default the next time you use the dialog.

Based on your error messages, I don`t think there is a problem with the folder selection logic. However, I do think there may be something in that folder that either Java or Windows wants to use a fancy icon for and that this icon is fowling up the File/Open dialog.

Make sure Pathfinder isn`t running, then...

In any explorer window, past in the following folder name and press enter: C:\ProgramData\Pathfinder

Inside that folder, there should be a file named: Pathfinder.props

Open Pathfinder.props in your favorite text editor (i.e. notepad).

Find the line that starts with: LastDir.Open=

Make a note of the folder that line references, then delete the entire line from Pathfinder.props. Try starting Pathfinder and using the File/Open dialog. If that doesn`t work, you can also try deleting the whole PROPS file.

If it does work, I`ve very curious what all is in the offending folder. We may be able to submit a bug report to Oracle (formerly Sun) and have them fix the VM.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:25:17 am by Charlie Thornton »

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 11:25:59 am »

Hi, i cannot find the props file,

here is a screenshot of the contents of the pathfinder folder

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 01:01:10 pm »

That''s the Pathfinder install folder. We used to keep the PROPS file there, but when Windows Vista (and now Windows 7) came along it became ill-behaved for applications to write to the Program Files folder and all it`s subfolders. Instead, apps are now supposed to (and do) write to a different "application data" space which you can find by punching in that folder named I mentioned:

C:ProgramDataPathfinder

(this is showing correctly, no typographic errors)

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 05:00:39 pm »

I followed your instructions and it didnt change anything.

i opened a file and was seeing some odd things and i think you are right about the icons it is trying to display,

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 07:56:29 am »

That''s actually the default icon that you get if we don''t explicitly setIcon() for a window. What I do notice is that you''ve got a G drive. Is that a USB drive and did you change anything related to your drive configuration (plug in, unplug a drive, etc) right before the trouble started?

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 09:39:41 am »

As i am reviewing the program to see if it is relevant for my work i run the program on my work computer which has multiple network drives. the administrators of the drives could have changed something...

also i do use a usb memory stick to take files home...

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 12:15:52 pm »

I had a co-worker download the program onto his computer and it seems to be working fine, as we are on the same network and both using windows seven with auto updates i dont know what the problem is.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:31:22 pm »

Do you have any Java installs? I talked to a user yesterday that was having mysterious startup problems and rolling back from Java 6.21 to 6.19 fixed his trouble. Pathfinder doesn''t rely on the system''s Java install, but there could be some sort of DLL loading mishap.

The "official" Java installer puts on a perky (i.e. bothersome and intrusive) updater so that may have been the thing that changed just before your open dialog stopped working. Pathfinder uses it''s own personal JRE so it shouldn''t interact with anything else on your system, but ...I''m running low on ideas.

You can check what''s installed by going to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs and looking for entries that start with Java (see attached).

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 11:52:32 am »

I went so far as to delete all java right off my computer and re-install pathfinder, nothing seems to work.

When re-installing Pathfinder i am never prompted to insert the registration Key...

My co-worker is having no problems with Pathfinder on his computer but his is 64 bit java...
Pages: 1 [2] 3