Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Door direction  (Read 4624 times)

Sarnia

• View Profile
Door direction
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »

Would it be possible to make doors one directional? I want to get people out of one room by a particular door (to reach a final exit point - ie main entry), but I don't want other people on the main floor sneaking through this door to reach a back exit when these guys are on 'nearest exit'.

Also, I want a number of occupants to use an internal stair. If I tell them to go to a certain ground floor exit, I can't guarentee they'll use that stair. Is there anyway to force a path, not just a final exit?

Thanks,

Sarnia

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Door direction
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:02:57 am »

Beyond the "nearest exit" vs "specific exit" setting, the only tool you have to control what path an occupant takes is to modify the mesh.  Sometimes you can extend a fake wall (separator) that will prevent people from entering a room from a particular direction - but that depends on the model.

Looking forward:

The next step for exit specification is have occupants pick the shortest from a list of exits rather than just all or one.

Forcing a particular path is an idea that's come up as a workaround for the problem we get when occupants ignore an un-crowded door and move toward a slightly closer crowded door.  However, I'm hoping we'll go with an approach that solves the problem in a different way.  Is the ability to force a path something you're interested in for it's own sake, or are you looking for a way to work around other limitations?

Sarnia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:01:53 pm »

Forcing a path could be useful, probably not too often, but maybe like cases where the closest exit is a fire stair at the back of the room that I would imagine most occupants would not be aware of, compared to a number of internal paths they are aware of to the main entry. In this case the longest path is the most familiar, so in reality I would expect more people to go that way. Perhaps some sort of nominted mid point that you can pick for occupants to pass through on the way to the nominated exit.

Thanks,
Sarnia

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38:17 am »

An older simulator i used in the past allowed you to add specific links(doors) as the path effectively directing the occupants through the building. this could be very helpful in testing a variety of fire scenarios in a building. Such as people exiting a stairwell on a certain floor and using another means of egress.

Is this something that could be possible in a later version?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:25:20 am »

I''ve heard a lot of interest in adding better ways to constrain occupant paths. Right now our "choose one exit, or all exits" approach isn''t really powerful enough to do what a lot of modelers want. Better ways are certainly possible and not all that difficult. However, for the next release we''ve got a big list of features that we want to add, but we haven''t reduced that down the the list of features that will actually go in.

Hopefully, that work will start in earnest in mid-fall 2009 and I''ll have a more accurate picture of what the next version will have and what it won''t have.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:06:49 pm »

Mid fall of what year?

haha ive done it many times

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:39:21 pm »

Yeah, that wasn''t even a normal typo. I just forgot what year it was. For the record: this fall, 2010.