Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Error: Pathfinder is not Licensed and will close  (Read 4344 times)

andrea

• View Profile
Error: Pathfinder is not Licensed and will close
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:00:21 am »

Hi,

I have downloaded the files:

pathfinder_20080909.exe
pathfinder_20080710.exe.

I have tried to install Pathfinder II (beta) on my PC (windows XP), using before "pathfinder_20080909.exe" and after "pathfinder_20080710.exe"; the installation is ok, there are no problems. But, when I launch the program, the message "Pathfinder is not Licensed and will close" appear on the desktop and, consequently, it's only permitted to click on button "ok": then, the program shut.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Andrea

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Error: Pathfinder is not Licensed and will close
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:37:03 pm »

There must be a problem with the way our installer works on your OS or possibly with security settings.  Fortunately, if we can figure out where Pathfinder is looking for the license file, we can make it work manually. (And fix the installer!)

Pathfinder looks for a license file in a particular folder.  The installer should place a file called pathfinder_beta.lic in your <application data>\Pathfinder\license folder  (C:\ProgramData\Pathfinder\license on Vista).  What operating system are you using?

- Charlie

andrea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:12:21 am »

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP...
Thanks for your information, I have found a solution.

The problem was the follow:

the licence file pathfinder_beta.lic was in the "C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDati applicazionipathfinderlicense" folder, but the program found the licence file in another place, that is

"C:Documents and settingsAll UsersApplication Datapathfinderlicense" folder

I have copied the "licence" folder (with the file pathfinder_beta.lic inside) in the right place and now, the program work.

Many thanks,
Andrea

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:00:16 am »

Good find!  It turns out the installer is locale-aware and Pathfinder just has the folder name hard-coded in English.  We'll need to either make the installer dumber or Pathfinder smarter.

Thanks!

- Charlie