Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: FDS 6.6.0 features into PyroSim  (Read 1758 times)

Erik Carlsson

• View Profile
FDS 6.6.0 features into PyroSim
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »

Hi Thunderhead team,

Is there an ETA on when some of the latest FDS 6.6.0 features will be implemented in PyroSim?  I'm primarily interested in the new atmospheric effects in order to use the &WIND group.

I know I can implement this using the additional records - which is what I will do until this is implemented.

Regards,

Erik

Erik Carlsson

• View Profile
Re: FDS 6.6.0 features into PyroSim
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:32:27 pm »

Also a request - when working with large files, "Record View" can be really slow. It would be great to have an independent "Additional Records" tab to be able to switch between 3D/2D view and Additional Records quicker.

Jon Albrecht

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 02:47:36 pm »

Erik,

We've just released the latest version of PyroSim. See below:

https://www.thunderheadeng.com/2017/11/pyrosim-2017-2-1115/

As for supporting the &WIND namelist, we don't have a current ETA. I'll make sure it gets discussed in an upcoming meeting.

Could you tell us more about your use cases for WIND? We are constantly attempting to understand how our users will take advantage of new features. If you can convince us there is a strong need for WIND, you may end up seeing it sooner than later.

Regards,

Jon
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:56:42 pm by albrecht »

Jon Albrecht

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:00:30 pm »

We've discussed trying to improve the performance of the record view before. We have a few ideas on how to improve performance and make working with our software a more pleasant experience. Again, it's hard to try to provide an ETA for new features, but I will make a note of your request.

Regards,

Jon

Erik Carlsson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:22:27 pm »

Great, thanks!

Also a heads up - the download page still states that the new PyroSim version (2017.2.1115) comes with FDS 6.5.3.

The primary use of wind is when doing smoke control assessments per the International Building Code - requiring wind effects to be accounted for. What I tried to use the new &WIND parameter for was to simply simulate the worst case external wind conditions for a specific site. The latest FDS release comes with an example case where the wind changes direction - this is not something I believe I would be interested in, as I would typically simply guess and specify the worst case wind direction and speed to see how that affects tenability.

I would prioritise record view performance before new features from FDS - as all new features can be implemented manually through the additional records view.

Erik

Erik Carlsson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:18:45 pm »

Guys... this new PyroSim release is almost too exciting for words! I'm totally nerding out about the new PyroSim Results viewer. Thanks a bunch for creating this!!

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:48:54 am »

Thanks, Erik! I shared your comment with everybody and we appreciate it. And thank you for the heads up on that stale version info on the download page.