Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Simulation of 3.600 chairs in rows at an outdoor event  (Read 2572 times)

drittaccount

• View Profile
Simulation of 3.600 chairs in rows at an outdoor event
« on: September 12, 2016, 01:26:24 pm »

Hey guys,

I'm new to Pathfinder and I'm kindly asking for some help.
I would like to simulate a case with 3.600 chairs at an outdoor event (kind of an VIP-area) to check the evacuation time, see PDF: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82375893/2016.09.09_Reihenbestuhlung_Plot_v1.0.pdf
The chairs are standing on a flat surface, the whole situation is fenced by waist-high railings.

Now I'm not so sure how to deal with this case in Pathfinder. Shall I define the paths between the chair rows by creating own rooms and connect them via stairs? I saw that way on the youtube video, but I'm not so sure if it works with flat surfaces (i.e. no height differencies between two rooms connected to each other by "flat" stairs) and wheter if there's an easier option. It seems pretty unhandy to me.

Thanks in advance!

BR,
Fabian

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Simulation of 3.600 chairs in rows at an outdoor event
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:21:50 am »

If it's just a flat layout, I wouldn't think you would need stairs.

I would create the large flat room, then use the Add a Rectangular Room tool to "punch out" a single chair. You can then use the Copy/Move Objects tool to replicate the chair until you have 3,600. Occupants will now avoid the small rooms representing chairs.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:25:30 pm »

I tried some different approaches with your model and ended up using a single rectangular subroom to block out the chair parts of the mesh.

drittaccount

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 04:16:56 am »

Hey Charlie,

thanks for the answer! Would you please be so kind to send me that file so I can have a look on it?
Thanks!

Regards,
Fabian
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:11:47 pm by drittaccount »

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:04:19 am »

Unfortunately, I cleaned off my desktop at the end of the day Thursday and I no longer have it. I suggest you make the front row and then do the math to figure out the right offset for an even row spacing and create all rows behind with a single copy operation (unlike the one-at-a-time approach I used that gave variable width seating rows). If you select all occupants you set their orientation vector to make everybody face forward.

drittaccount

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:20:30 am »

Hey Charlie, doesn't matter, I rebuilt it myself. Thanks for the ideas to get my idea going!

drittaccount

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:06:38 am »

Hey Charlie, I have two questions:
How can I set the orientation vector of all the occupants forward?
Additionally, I'm not sure if the use of seperate rooms is the right way to go. Is it possible for the occupants to look above them straight to the exit? In the simulation, the walking ways of the occupants look a little odd.
Have a look at this video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74638872/Bestuhlung_v1.0%20HD.wmv
It really makes the impression that the occupants cannot really see the other options instead of cueing (like walking towards the middle two vertical corridors to go via the paths at the top and the bottom then).

Regards, Fabain
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:08:38 pm by drittaccount »