Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Simulation of evaporation LNG  (Read 4706 times)

barrazzi

• View Profile
Simulation of evaporation LNG
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:00:38 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use this GUI of FDS.

I'm trying to simulate an evaporation of a mass of LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas). It's temperature is about -161°C.

I create a impound where the LNG could stay after the release from an ipotethic vessel.

I create, after, a vent surface with the characteristics of evaporaztion of the LNG (and obstruction relative to the impounding area).

The LNG, in real condition, when it reach the -85°C became gas with density below that of air.

So, how can I simulate this behaviour in Pyrosim? Why I can't see this behaviuor in SmokeView?

Every advice you could give make me very happy!!  ;D ;D

Thanks!!!

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Simulation of evaporation LNG
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:19:29 am »

I'm don't completely understand your situation, but you might try injecting the natural gas as an Extra Species.  Essentially, you can add Extra Species to the model via the Extra Species dialog on the Model menu.  Then you can inject them using a supply vent.  Note that you can't cause extra species to burn.

Also, there is a related question over at the FDS forum from someone who is trying to burn natural gas:

http://groups.google.com/group/fds-smv/browse_thread/thread/52f71cc82e8895f2

Michele

• View Profile
Re: Simulation of evaporation LNG
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:09:13 am »

I'm also not sure to undersatand your issue. If you just want a pool (or puddle) of LNG to evaporate, act as in FDS user Guide chapter 8.3.3 Liquid Fuels.
Set initial material internal temperature at -161°C (or whaterver) and ambient temperature at T > -161°C.
Evt use SUPPLY Surface to introduce fresh warmer air to maintain ambiente temperature above LNG temperature.

Michele