Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Multi-floor elevators  (Read 1712 times)

Boehmer

• View Profile
Multi-floor elevators
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:15:37 am »

hi,

I'm trying to use Pathfinder (2015.2.1012) to model ingress to a building. Occupants enter a lobby and should take elevators to one of 10 floors (e.g. as specified via behaviors and waypoints). But I have not been able to have the occupants use to elevators to travel to a given floor. It appears they will only travel to the floor set as Discharge floor? This is very limiting as I need the same elevator to take people to different floors. Is there a way to work around this, or is there something I haven't set correctly?
Thanks

Jared

• View Profile
Re: Multi-floor elevators
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:22:21 am »

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that Pathfinder is intended to be used to model ingress.  The algorithm will attempt to take the occupants scattered throughout the building and get them to discharge as quickly as possible.  I am not sure how you would reverse this.

What is the intent of your model?  Why do you need to know how quickly your building can be occupied?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 11:33:09 am »

A limitation of Pathfinder's current elevator system is that it can only discharge occupants at one floor. For occupants to ride up and then down, you would need a minimum of two elevators.

Boehmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:53 pm »

A limitation of Pathfinder's current elevator system is that it can only discharge occupants at one floor. For occupants to ride up and then down, you would need a minimum of two elevators.

Thanks. Issue is I want to model the delay and crowding in the lobby as people wait for the elevators to different floors. I will have to approximate this some other way. There are six elevators, but also 11 different floors people can go to.

Are there any plans to expand the elevator function to models more complex situations such as this?