Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Pyrosim Smokeview Cad View Is Not Working  (Read 6508 times)

Anilsen

• View Profile
Pyrosim Smokeview Cad View Is Not Working
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:37:55 am »

Hello all,

I really enjoy using Pyrosim at our office which we bought several months ago, but I have a little problem with the smokeview cad view. I want to see the geometry as I modeled, but cad view is not functioning in smokeview, just an empty screen. I have a an old version at my home which don't have this kind of problems, but the new version at the office does not seem to work. Pyrosim version at the office is 2015.1.0130

If you can help me with this situation I'll be very glad, somehow i believe this is a very easy subject to solve but i can't seem to figure it out for weeks. I attached the images below.

Dave McGill

• View Profile
    • firemodel.ca
Re: Pyrosim Smokeview Cad View Is Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:55:41 pm »

Try hitting "q" on your keyboard.

Dave
Dave McGill
firemodel.ca

Anilsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »

Hi Dave,

That's the 3rd picture. When i press q two times in smokeview it switches to cad view but then there is complete emptiness. In cad view i lose all the geometry. Is there something wrong with the pyrosim? But other than that there is nothing wrong with the program.

Dave McGill

• View Profile
    • firemodel.ca
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 04:03:46 pm »

Can you attach the PyroSim file?

Dave
Dave McGill
firemodel.ca

Anilsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 04:03:40 am »

You can find the pyrosim file attached. The problem occures in every pyrosim fie. I tried importing stl, dwg, dxf and finally i modeled a curved model in pyrosim itself, but no matter what i do i can't see cad view. All geometry, meshes and outlines disappear when switching to cad view. And i also tried first previewing the model in smokeview, and then after solving several seconds of analysis, still the same.

Dave McGill

• View Profile
    • firemodel.ca
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 11:55:01 am »

Let's try another strategy. Download this from dropbox.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/en4wuyaor9jqc72/CAD%20import.zip?dl=0

It contains a 3D CAD file, a PyroSim file containing the imported CAD file, and a screenshot of the Smokeview preview. Everything works, and toggling "q" will display/hide the CAD features.

Let me know if you can import the CAD file, add a mesh, preview it in Smokeview, and toggle the CAD features.

Dave
Dave McGill
firemodel.ca

Anilsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 04:36:02 am »

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the files. I've imported the cad to pyrosim and added the mesh and preview it in smokeview. Still the same, i can see the model in actual and requested views but when toggling to cad view, everything disappears. You can find the capture images attached. I think our pyrosim is outdated, i will try to update the program and fds/smokeview and inform you about it.

Feyd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 12:07:58 am »

Hello Anilsen,

I had the same problem. I send my psm to Dave and Charlie's team, and they didn't have the problem on their computer. They send me their .ini file, and when i put it in my folder, the cad view (and the viewpoints i made in pyrosim) works perfectly! I didn't have time since to find the problem's cause, but I think it comes from our computers..

Anilsen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 03:07:03 am »

Hi Feyd,

Thanks for your response. I updated the program but still the same, I cannot see cad view in smokeview. I really need to solve this problem, so I am waiting your help.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 01:47:39 pm »

Could you post your INI file (and, if possible, your PSM file)? It should be in the same folder as the rest of your simulation results. Our current theory is that the error is caused by PyroSim writing an INI file that contains characters that are not properly handed by smokeview (i.e. it has something to do with the locale settings - this is why it works when someone at thunderhead runs the problem).

Deleting your INI file and then re-running smokeview should work - at the cost of removing the saved view information and the settings that activate a better lighting model in smokeview.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »

It looks like, in PyroSim 2015.3, the problem is in the GE1 file. If you are operating in a region that uses the comma character as a decimal separator instead of a period (or "full stop"), PyroSim has a bug that is causing it to write the [APPEARANCE] section of the GE1 file incorrectly. Until we get the bug fixed, the workaround is to replace some commas to periods in the [APPEARANCE] section of the GE1 file. See attached.

EDIT: This bug is fixed in our dev version and will no longer be a problem in PyroSim 2015.4 and later.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:19:08 pm by Charlie Thornton »

Anilsen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 06:10:14 am »

Hi Charlie,

Thank you very much, that seems to be the solution. After I corrected the GE1 file as you mentioned, cad view mode in smokeview is working. However I cannot see transparent glasses in cad view mode and I assume that's because I didn't model transparent glasses in Solidworks or Autocad at first.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 04:17:32 pm »

You can edit the color for the glass surface or the objects themselves (right click, Select by Color) and add an alpha value. That will make the glass transparent.