Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Pathfinder floor adjustability  (Read 3642 times)

timslingsby

• View Profile
Pathfinder floor adjustability
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:26:03 pm »

What are the plans for being able to edit the floor dimensions? if the coordinates typed in need to be changed, is the easiest way to delete the floor and start again rather than simply change the dimensions?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder floor adjustability
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:24:47 am »

At their heart, the floors are just a view filter and a drawing helper.  If you select one in the tree, you should be able to edit the extents (see attached).

On the downside, that editing feature seems to have some bugs:
(1) If you increase the extents of a floor, you have to close and reopen the model to get the changes to take affect.
(2) I can't get decreasing the extents of a floor to take affect no matter what I do
(3) I can't delete a floor - I can delete everything in the floor, just not the floor itself.

In terms of a plan, we'll probably start by fixing some of these bugs.  Thank you for leading me to them.

It just occurred to me that you might mean the kind of floor that people walk on, not the organizational tool.  We're planning to have that all nice and editable.  Probably you could change the z by typing in a box and change the x,y by click+drag or selecting a point and typing in a box.  None of this made it for the first round since we want the stuff connected to a piece of floor to follow it around, re-size appropriately, etc.  Do you have any requests?

If you want to delete the walkable floor underneath a kitchen table or sofa or some other stuff that didn't get drawn in based on the room architecture, you can draw another piece of floor on top of it.  The new piece of floor will replace the old one.  Then just delete the new floor chunk.  I'm told this is more straightforward than having a specific delete tool...

- Charlie

Richard O'Konski

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:44:35 pm »

There are actually no bugs with how floors are working right now. 

Floors are merely filters for 3D imported geometry (from DXF and FDS files) and groups for Egress geometry (rooms, doors, stairs, etc.).  This means that any Egress object you add to a floor is always going to be visible if the floor is visible and the object is visible no matter what the current floor filters are.  Any 3D geometry in the model, however, is clipped away based on the visible floors' filters.

The problems Charlie experienced arose because he expected the filters to clip both 3D imported geometry AND Egress geometry.  In addition, Pathfinder always requires at least one floor, so when Charlie tried to delete the only floor in his model and it remained, he thought this was a bug.

Since the current behaviour is not as intuitive as we hoped, we would appreciate suggestions from users as to how we can improve the floor feature.  What is good and what can be improved/changed?
Richard O'Konski
Thunderhead Engineering

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:58:11 pm »

The problems Charlie experienced arose because he expected the filters to clip both 3D imported geometry AND Egress geometry.  In addition, Pathfinder always requires at least one floor, so when Charlie tried to delete the only floor in his model and it remained, he thought this was a bug.

Not quite, I was trying to delete the currently selected floor - selected in the Floor: box.  It won't go away even if you have other floors.

- Charlie