Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: sprinkler and hss  (Read 2047 times)

tricia

• View Profile
sprinkler and hss
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:29:33 am »

Hi, i am new to pyrosim and need some help in this. I had created a simple model with sprinkler and burner. The HSS didnt go to zero when sprinkler is activated. Could anyone advise what could have gone wrong with the attached model? Thanks.

Dave McGill

• View Profile
    • firemodel.ca
Re: sprinkler and hss
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:15:46 am »

Hi Tricia,

Short Answer
This feature doesn't work very well, has no predictive value and isn't worth spending time on.

Long Answer
When I was teaching, I had my students do a model using this feature. Over the years, I've looked at several hundred examples. Sometimes the fire is diminished a  lot, sometimes only a little. It was rarely put out completely. There is no predictable pattern. The E_COEEFICIENT has to be determined experimentally, and, to my knowledge, no one has ever done that. So, it is an unvalidated feature, with no predictive value.

I compared your example to the e_coefficient example provided with FDS. There are several differences that cause the fire to not decline in your example.
  • the HRR is 5x greater
  • the flow rate is 1/10th
  • the spray pattern is almost horizontal, and most of the water leaves the domain
I think this combination of factors explains why the fire is not extinguished in your example.

If you want to approximate the effect of sprinklers on a fire, then there are several other options.
  • The hrr_freeze feature will hold the HRR steady when a device, like a sprinnkler activates. This is a common conservative strategy.
  • The old way was to let the fire grow, note when a sprinkler activated, stop the model and adjust the HRR via RAMP to stop growing, or decline at the time of sprinkler activation, and re-run the model

Dave
Dave McGill
firemodel.ca

tricia

• View Profile
Re: sprinkler and hss
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 08:24:05 pm »

Hi dave, thanks for your reply. I had adjusted the hss, flow rate and flow angle and the hss drops by half though it dont go to zero.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:37:56 pm by tricia »