Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Extracting 2D Floors slowly  (Read 3297 times)

vidarbranncon

• View Profile
Extracting 2D Floors slowly
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:03 am »

Hi. I'm doing an egress analysis for a shoppingmall. New to pathfinder (installed newest version) so have used this tutorial so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsarYCgbEY.

After importing my 2D floors (.dwg) I started to extract rooms as shown in the tutorial. My problem is that extracting takes a whole lot of time on each room (about 5-10 min maybe, even for small rooms).

Tried to run pathfinder on two different computers wich both should be suitable for this process, but no luck. Checked the task mananger wich shows that processor nor memory works close to full capasity.

Any ideas how to speed things up/make it work properly? (or is it only me being impatient?  ::) )

Computerspecs:
- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
- Processor: Intel Xeon CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz
- Memory (RAM): 8,0 GB
- Graphics: Nvidia Quado K2000 2GB

Second machine:
- Windows 8.1 64 bit
- Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2,40GHz
- Memory (RAM): 16 GB
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia GTX 680M

Richard O'Konski

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting 2D Floors slowly
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:58:44 am »

Floor extraction can be a bit slow in some models, especially in 2D.  Our current algorithm is only single-threaded, which is why your CPU usage appears low (your processor has hyper-threading, which makes it appear to Windows as having 8 cores, and this algorithm only uses 1, which makes it look like Pathfinder is only running at 12% CPU usage).

Your best bet is to remove all extraneous imported lines before performing the extraction, even if the lines are in a part of the model far from where you are extracting. For example, remove all hatches, electrical, duct-work, doors, etc.  These lines are often grouped together. One trick to quickly remove many of these lines at once is to ALT-click one of the lines in the 3D/2D view, which will select its parent group.

If you still find that extraction is taking unbearably long, you can send the model to us at support@thunderheadeng.com, and we can see if there are any other suggestions we can make based on your specific model.

In the next year I hope to finish a side-project I've been working on that will vastly improve extraction speed. Right now we have some other features that are taking priority.
Richard O'Konski
Thunderhead Engineering

vidarbranncon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:25:16 am »

Thanks, .dwg clean up it is  :)

MatthiasVdveire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 02:55:19 am »

Hello,

I seem to be having the same problem. The extraction of a floor takes more than a half an hour (still running at the moment). Due to deadlines at work I need to deliver the evacuation simulation quite fast. It looks like I'll be drawing over a 2d image as a background unless I get a quick response on how to deal with this.

Thank you in advance.