Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Fds-evac model and pathfinder  (Read 3354 times)

rahuljindal.66

• View Profile
Fds-evac model and pathfinder
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:43:16 am »

Hello all,

I am doing a simple single floor fire evacuation modeling using FDS-evac model and pathfinder also.

In pathfinder I am using steering mode
I am getting that FDS+evac model is showing about 80 seconds to evacuate the same no. of occupants what pathfinder is taking about 45 seconds.

In both, I have used almost default conditions, which I feel must be almost same, there may be some difference in some variables.

Can anyone help me to find out that which one should be considered ?

Thanks in advance

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Fds-evac model and pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:05 am »

It sounds like neither model looks particularly wrong and I wouldn't expect them to have exactly the same answer, but when you think in terms of "almost twice as fast" rather than "only 35 seconds apart" it does sound like there must be something substantial to explain the difference. Comparing short simulations will tend to give bigger percentage differences in the outcome.

When you look at the two simulations, where does the time difference appear to be? I assume that the occupants take similar routes and the doors are similarly sized. Does it take longer for the FDS+EVAC occupants to get to the doors or do they enqueue readily but take longer to pass through the queues?