Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Toolbar Flashes on and off  (Read 3838 times)

Delaveris

• View Profile
Toolbar Flashes on and off
« on: July 29, 2008, 07:26:07 am »

I have attached two screenshots of pathfinder from my desktop.  The problem I'm having is this:  the program seems to remember and recall the previous command, so that when I attempt a new command the toolbars or properties bars rapidly blink, or switch between the current and the previous command's toolbars, as I am moving the mouse to the proper location to adjust parameters.  When I scroll over the toolbar to click on a parameter to adjust, the right toolbar may or may not be visible.  I have to click a couple of times, scroll around, whatever works, until I can navigate the correct toolbar.
It might also happen that I will, for instance, highlight a floor and right click the mouse to bring up the quick menu to add occupants to the floor.  When I right click I can see the menu, but as soon as I move the mouse cursor onto the menu, the options disappear and there is only a grey box.  If I move the cursor off of the now grey box and into the view space, the options reappear. 

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Toolbar Flashes on and off
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:07:15 am »

Thank you for including the screen shots.  They helped a lot.  I'm not seeing this on my computer so I'm thinking it might be graphics card related.

On the surface, it looks like we never made pop-ups "heavyweight" - meaning that they are sort drawn the fast easy way rather than being important enough to appear above things like the 3D window.  Usually though, when that's a problem, you never see the pop-ups at all in the places where they overlap the 3D window.

Let's try turning off accelerated 2D graphics and see if that fixes it.  Here's how:

(1) Open C:Program FilesPathfinder II (Beta)un.bat in a text editor (e.g. notepad, not Word)
(2) On the line that looks like:

"%DIR%jreinjava.exe" -Xmx512m -Djava.library.path=.;lib;lib/rlm -cp %JARS% merlin.Run

Add -Dsun.java2d.noddraw right after the -Xmx512m argument.  Your line should look like this:

"%DIR%jreinjava.exe" -Xmx512m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -Djava.library.path=.;lib;lib/rlm -cp %JARS% merlin.Run

(3) Save run.bat and run Pathfinder

Let me know if that helps.

- Charlie

Delaveris

• View Profile
Re: Toolbar Flashes on and off
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:19:12 am »

Thank you!  Yes, this fix did the trick, and the toolbars are behaving normally.