Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Fire Scenarios?  (Read 3515 times)

Jim B

• View Profile
Fire Scenarios?
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:08:06 am »

I apologize if this has been asked before, but does Pathfinder support behavior related to fire scenarios within the evacuation model? I couldn't seem to find anywhere that would reflect this.

For instance, if I wished to start a fire and have the occupants tell others of the hazard, then avoid an area after a certain time and expand that area as the smoke spread, would this be possible? I imagine some of it is possible via determined movement points and pre-movement time designations, but is there an integrated system in place?

Or alternatively, is there a way to input a fire scenario (albeit probably simplified) that I created in Pyrosim and have the occupants react to that?

Thanks,
Jim

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Scenarios?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:16 am »

Pathfinder does not (yet) have that capability. Currently, the only available approach is the one you described: specify behaviors up front.

Jim B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:55:24 am »

Thank you for letting me know. I assume there is a plan to introduce this in the future?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:01:52 am »

It's been on the list for years, but other things (e.g. elevators) always seems to end up with a higher priority. One of the reasons is that we perceive this feature would be primarily useful for incident re-creation rather than design - which we see as the larger area of interest.

How would you use it? If occupants passed information. If you could calculate per-occupant FED. If you could have rooms close as untenable based on FDS-calculated results. If you could overlay FDS results in the Pathfinder 3D Results.

Jim B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 07:17:22 am »

I agree, re-creation would be the main point of interest for myself as well. I'm also interested in looking into potential hazards (via Pyrosim) and how people would react to them in contrast to say, a fire drill where there are no dynamic "avoidance" areas and fewer potential delays in recognition/reaction.

The FDS overlay would be useful as it would give an excellent visual aid to those unfamiliar with the programs, how I came to my parameters and corresponding conclusions.

An integrated system would allow for far easier manipulation of the parameters, such as expected response times, toxicity effects, and smoke avoidance. At the moment this can be done but with more complex systems it can be little unwieldy and time consuming.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:23 am »

Thank you.