Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Maximum number of occupants  (Read 2676 times)

Sofia

• View Profile
Maximum number of occupants
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:08:10 am »

Hi,

I'm currently working on a model were the maximum number of occupants are 6000.
Is there any restrictions on how many occupants you can put in a model?

Kinds regards,
Sofia

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum number of occupants
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:37:05 am »

One of our test models is 50,000 people in a big room with 4 exits. The biggest problems is that it takes a while to run. The controlling factor for a simulation's performance is path calculations and you can think of the complexity as the number of occupants multiplied by the triangles they need to consider when planning paths. A 6,000 person model won't be fast, but it shouldn't be particularly troublesome unless you've got curvy rooms (i.e. lots of triangles) that each have lots of doors to choose from.

It's usually a good idea to do a run with a scattering of few hundred people if you think there might be trouble, because the faster turnaround time makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot geometric problems in the model.

Leopoldo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:10:32 am »

Hi,

I'm building up a Pathfinder model with about 2500-3000 occupants. I've encountered the following problem when running the simulation:

Occupants seem to get stucked in the middle of the simulation and only half of them are evacuated. In exchange, when launching the runtime visualization to show the progress of the simulation as taking place (debug button), all occupants are entirely evacuated.

If I get back to the model and reduce the total number of occupants, then they are all being evacuated in the results visualization. Seems that the total occupants' "treshold" is around 1900, but I can't find out where the problem might lay if the total number of occupants is increased.

Thank you in advance for your advice. Kinds regards.

Leopoldo

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:54:41 am »

Pathfinder doesn't impose any specific limit on the number of people in the simulation and I think you've found a problem with either the simulator or something in the model setup that Pathfinder doesn't issue a warning for. Usually, when occupants vanish it is because they don't have a valid path to the exit - but this almost always happens on the first timestep, not in the middle of the simulation.

Please post your PTH file or send it to support@thunderheadeng.com.