Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: adiabatic vs inert surfaces  (Read 7629 times)

nsdmr

• View Profile
adiabatic vs inert surfaces
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:04:27 am »

Hi folk, i know basic diffirents between adi and inert surfaces but what about slip effect? we can control in adi surfaces yes. how can we control inert surface for free-slip condition

bb

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: adiabatic vs inert surfaces
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:14 am »

It's not clear to me why we have this option for adiabatic surfaces but not for other types of solid surfaces. Based on my reading of the FDS 5 User Guide, Section 9.6 "Tangential Velocity Boundary Conditions at Solid Surfaces", it looks like the NO_SLIP, FREE_SLIP, and ROUGHNESS parameters should be available on any solid surf.

Even though these parameters are not explicitly supported by PyroSim, surfaces offer a way to enter additional parameters using the Advanced panel. For example, to set a surface to use the free-slip boundary condition, open the Advanced tab on any solid surface and add a table entry with [FREE_SLIP, .TRUE.] to simulate a free-slip condition. Don't forget the "." on either side of TRUE. Advanced values are copied directly into the FDS input file and the dots expected by FDS's fortran-based parser.