Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Help - Warehouse Racking  (Read 5921 times)

bilb27

• View Profile
Help - Warehouse Racking
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:38 am »

Hi everyone, new to the wonderful Pyrosim but need to create some high bay racking with pallets of cardboard on. Anyone any ideas how to
do this? have created an excel with the sizes but not sure how to create them on Pyrosim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tried to as an obstruction with holes and then placing pallets in the hole but didn't work.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Warehouse Racking
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:09:28 pm »

If you are trying to create something like this:

http://www.emrackindustrial.com.au/images/pallet/narrow-isle-and-high-bay.jpg

My suggestion is to create obstructions for the racking and for the pallets - using the copy/move tool as much as possible to exploit symmetry. Page 83 of the PyroSim manual gives an example where you create a stairway by placing the first step, then using Copy/Move to place the next 9 steps.

Dave McGill

• View Profile
    • firemodel.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:04:46 pm »

Hi,

Something else to consider is your cell size. When I do a large warehouse, I put a mesh around the fire with a cell size of 0.1 m. The rest of the warehouse will have progressively larger cells as they become distant to the fire. The consequence is that the OBSTs can't be any smaller than a single cell. In PyroSim, you can draw very detailed racks and pallets and boxes, but in the model they will be scaled up to the cell size of the mesh they are in.

Dave
Dave McGill
firemodel.ca

bilb27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:09:00 pm »

Hi thanks for your replies. That racking is exactly what im after. Any chance of a copy of the FDS script?

I have tried to do that but as a newbie really struggling.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:18:38 pm »

That isn't an FDS model, it's just some image I dug up after searching Google for "high bay racking". I included it to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't have a similar example on me.

I think if you practice for a few minutes with the Copy/Move feature, it will come together for you very quickly. Try starting with a single 1m^3 box and then making a checker board. Then start over and make a checker board with a 0.1 m gap between all the blocks.

bilb27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »

Thanks Charlie,

Trying to get my head round what your saying. I have done some stairs no problem. So I create an obstacle but how do I put the box inside? Do i put a hole in it?Sorry am new to this and am struggling to put the finishing touches to my model.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »

My suggestions was to do this:

http://www.screencast.com/t/XjTNzXvTM

Then add shelving detail as needed.

Dave McGill

• View Profile
    • firemodel.ca
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 04:09:54 pm »

Here is an example of high-bay racks. I didn't use individual obstructions for each box, just one big obstruction to represent the boxes on a given shelf.

Dave
Dave McGill
firemodel.ca

bilb27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:25 pm »

Thank you so much for the help. Dave that is exactly what I was trying to achieve. That is excellent thanks.

Ian  :)