Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: suggestion for future release.  (Read 3419 times)

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
suggestion for future release.
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:34:04 pm »

Is it possible to add the "handles" that are utilized in the pathfinder walkable areas to the geometry in pyrosim?

Often working on projects at the 40% or 75% stages and even at 100%, the geometry of the models are not perfect and there are holes which create leaks. Currently to "patch" holes you have to create a new obstruction and add all the attributes or change the geometry of the existing obstructions which can be very labour intensive. Since all of the faces are triangles could the "handles" be used here to manipulate the coordinates in a future release?

this would save considerable time.

once again im not a programmer and dont know if this is possible, just a thought

thanks

Colin Urie

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion for future release.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:51 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion. I've added a PyroSim feature request to our issue tracker.

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:34:22 pm »

I'll borrow the thread a bit and suggest to include an option for Pyrosim to write the geometry output (record view) as either scientific (which it does now) or as normal decimal number (an option I can't find at them moment). There has been several times when I have made mistakes because of the difficulty to easily double check the figures when they are written in a scientific manner. Therefore an option to how the coordinates are formatted would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:06:50 am »

There's an option in File/Preferences called "Format FDS file for easy reading". When that box is un-checked you tend to see number written out very long scientific notation:

0.0 -> "0.0000000E000"

And when it is checked, you tend to see a nicer version:

0.0 -> "0.00"

Does this help? In general, it's difficult to find a one-size-fits-all number formatter. Something we've developed in our PetraSim software, but have not yet integrated with PyroSim is a smart fixed-width formatter that will produce a n-character string (e.g. 8 characters = "     0.0") that contains optimal precision and, if no additional precision is needed, optimizes the remaining characters for readability. If we were to integrate this into PyroSim, the option might instead be, "FDS Input Sig. Digits: [   5]" (where you would edit the five). Would that be more helpful?