Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Extra walls created in FDS  (Read 2323 times)

Sofia

• View Profile
Extra walls created in FDS
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:16:10 am »

Hi,

I recently been discovering something strange in pyrosim while using the multi-klick mode when I draw walls. It appears that "extra" walls, that are not visible in the pyrosim interface, are created in the FDS-file. These walls are visible in the smokeview file but not in the psm. file. To get rid of these walls I've randomly been deleting walls and suddenly the undesirable walls disappear, which leaves me to start drawing walls all over again. There should be an easier way to get rid of these extra walls, because "my way" is really time devastating. A picture of the extra walls are attached in this post.

Thanks for your help!

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Extra walls created in FDS
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:59:45 am »

Thank you for reporting this bug. As near as I can tell, it shows up when a Y min/max mesh boundary is enclosed within a sequence of wall segments. The segments don't strictly have to be closed, but they have to go around the Y mesh boundaries.

You can detect the error within PyroSim by toggling the Preview FDS Blocks option (it's a toolbar button, two blocks with a little light bulb).

Your can fix the problem by converting the offending geometry to blocks and then manually deleting the extra obstructions. You can also try to merge meshes to avoid having a min/max Y face within the enclosed region.

I'm going to try to sneak a bugfix into a PyroSim 2012 release I'm putting together (for release today or tomorrow), but we'll have to see. Unfortunately, I'm not the expert with this particular part of PyroSim and the fix may get pushed back to PyroSim 2013.

Sofia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:48:13 am »

Thank you for your quick answer!
I did it the way you described and finally got rid of the undesirable walls.

Merry Christmas!

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:51:29 pm »

The version we posted today includes the fix for the extra wall bug.

http://www.thunderheadeng.com/2012/12/pyrosim-2012-1-1221/