Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: ppl stuck on stair..  (Read 3420 times)

maxgzc

• View Profile
ppl stuck on stair..
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:44:34 am »

I have a multiple floor model. Equal number of ppl on each floor. Even though exits are on the first floor. There are ppl trying to go upstairs and they get stuck because of the ppl trying to come down stairs.. How can I fix this problem?
Regards..
PS: Simulation 's run on steering mode..

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: ppl stuck on stair..
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:28:20 am »

Without seeing your model I'm just guessing, but here's my best guess -

The occupants are using the upstairs exits because (1) they know about them and (2) they think those exits will be faster. An easy way prevent them from going upstairs is to replace the "use any exit" behavior with one that only allows use of the exits on a particular floor (i.e. limit the occupants' knowledge of exits). The IMO_10 example problem gives a good example of defining exit behaviors (under Define Behaviors):

http://www.thunderheadeng.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=140

maxgzc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:53:02 am »

Thank you for your attention. Appreciated!
The thing is there is no exit on upstairs. All exits are on downstairs. Still they try to go upstairs. I deleted ppl on the upper floor to see where they'd go on the upstairs.. They went up and came downstairs on the stairs (stopped escalator) right next to the one they'd gone upstairs.. Would different density (ppl/m2) on  floors could be an issue?..

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:02:27 am »

I'm sorry, I misread your original post. What you are seeing is a limitation of our wayfinding algorithm. The same logic that tells occupants to walk slightly further to avoid a crowded door is probably telling your occupants to take an alternate route (that goes upstairs) to avoid a crowded door queue.

Currently, there is no easy solution. The two common workarounds are to add thin walls to guide movement or - if you are feeling very clever - you can merge some rooms to "repair" the information lost beyond the first door in the wayfinding calculation. When occupants are evaluating paths, paths that re-enter the current room account for queues in that room. Paths outside the current room disregard queues. Because of this, you can sometimes get the answers you want by making paths that would produce undesirable results re-enter the room an occupant would be in when it was selecting the bad path.