Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Excessive lag working remotely across a VPN using a floating license  (Read 3041 times)

pfriday

• View Profile

Greetings,

I am using PyroSim 2012 x64 working remotely across a VPN and am experiencing prohibitive lag while trying to manipulate and edit an existing model.  The license server resides in our office and internet upload/download speeds at both locations are in excess of 1 MB/s.  Both machines are running Windows 7 x64.  It seems as if PyroSim is continuously checking for the license and that this is slowing things down significantly.  Any advice your can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Phil Friday
Harrington Group, Inc.

Bryan Klein

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
    • Thunderhead Eng. Site
Re: Excessive lag working remotely across a VPN using a floating license
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:57:40 am »

Hello Phil,

Are you running a remote desktop session, or are you running PyroSim on the computer that you are using and connecting to the license server on the other end of the VPN through the floating license settings in PyroSim?

-Bryan

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Excessive lag working remotely across a VPN using a floating license
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:41 am »

I looked at the code for the license check to remind myself how it works. The check is performed once every 60 seconds and runs in a background thread (meaning that it should have no affect on normal processing unless it fails).

Is there something you are seeing that is making you suspect the license server check? I know that when I walk away from my computer for a while, I see lots of "License Server OK" messages in the console.

Aside from that, if you are working with a local install of PyroSim, I don't have any ideas. Though, like Bryan suggested, if you are using remote desktop that would explain the performance on screen updates.