Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Tunnel evacuation  (Read 2851 times)

pathfinder.user

• View Profile
Tunnel evacuation
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:34:24 am »

Hi All,

I'm still exploring Pathfinder and not much experience user. In the exercise I'm currently undertaking, I'm trying to simulate evacuation from a train in a tunnel. The evacuation strategy is such that occupants evacuate from the outer rail tube where the fire is, enter the non-incident rail tube via cross-passages, cross the track and then enter their ultimate place of safety which is the designated area in the adjacent road tube.

I encountered 2 problems and was wondering if you could advise:
1. due to the difference in levels between the track level and emergency walkway (55cm), occupants have to use steps to leave the walkway onto the track level (grilles at level will be provided) and then climb back on the walkway on the other side of tube. At the moment I built small steps to simulate that, but was wondering if there is any way to simulate occupants jumping down 55cm.
2. when occupants enter the road tube they are considered to be in place of safety, therefore agents will disappear once enter final exit doors. Is it possible to still see agents dispersing in the road tube, beyond their final exits?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Tunnel evacuation
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:40 am »

Right now, Pathfinder needs all the movement geometry to be connected. For a single 55cm drop, I think stair and ramp are your only two options - and stair sounds like the right choice to me.

To show occupants beyond the final exit doors, you would need to model part of the road tube as well and move back the exit doors. Pathfinder shows the time for the last person out each door so you could still know when everyone made it to safety. It just wouldn't tie in properly with the exit display in the 3D results.