Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Using Burner and Reaction to simulate burning of methane  (Read 3735 times)

Ali_Pakar

• View Profile
Using Burner and Reaction to simulate burning of methane
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:31 am »

Hi,

I'm using PyroSim to model the flaring of natural gas which occurs onboard FPSOs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_production_storage_and_offloading)

1. I've modelled a fire on top of the flare structure. I highlighted the top surface, then changed it's property to 'Fire', a surface I created using Burner. (my burner uses a mass loss rate equal to the flow rate of natural gas through pipes during the flaring process)

2. I've also added a methane reaction from the library. I understand this will allow my burner to behave as if methane is being burnt.

Am I on the right track here? Can I say that this is a simulation of methane being burnt at a rate of (mass loss rate)?

Looking forward to hearing your take on this. Thanks.

Bryan Klein

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
    • Thunderhead Eng. Site
Re: Using Burner and Reaction to simulate burning of methane
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:29 am »

The mass loss rate will be used to inject the fuel gas species into the domain as you specified.  How this translates into total HRR is another issue.  Characteristics of your model such as the mesh cell size in the area of the flare zone will determine how well the combustion region is resolved and will effect the HRR results.  Also, check your reaction parameters and make sure that they are as you intend them to be.  Do not rely on anything by 'default' in FDS, the default values are a good starting point, but you should make sure that what is being simulated is exactly what you intended.

Your description so far seems on track, but I advise that you perform a sensitivity study on the cell size in the flare region and back that up with some sanity checks on what HRR you expect from this scenario.

-Bryan Klein