Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Reaction of Wood Combustion & Pyroysis  (Read 6215 times)

Xoano

• View Profile
Reaction of Wood Combustion & Pyroysis
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:16 am »

Hello.

I just look for the reaction of wood combustion, but there is not this line in the library of pyrosim...

At fds4 database, I checked there was a line of this type of reaction, but I cannot import this file to Pyrosim.

Do you know if it si possible obtain it?

And something similar to the pyrolisis reaction of a generical wood?

Thxs.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction of Wood Combustion & Pyroysis
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:37:38 am »

There is a post at the FDS/Smokeview forum that contains several links to material properties that you might find helpful:

http://groups.google.com/group/fds-smv/browse_thread/thread/d03483acf36b675d

PyroSim is bundled with a material library that has been created by extracting MATL lines from various sources.  This library contains an example of yellow pine from a NIST NRC validation problem.  You can add this material to your model using the PyroSim Libraries dialog:

1. On the Model Menu, click Edit Libraries...
2. In the Category list, click Materials
3. In the Library box, select YELLOW PINE, then click <-- to add this entry to your model

PyroSim should be able to import most FDS4 materials, what error are you experiencing when you attempted to import your FDS4 database?  Also note, the FDS4 specification for surfaces contains less data that the FDS5 specification, so if imported materials are an important factor in your simulation, use care to verify that they behave as expected when simulated.

I would encourage you to avoid looking for a generic wood reaction and to instead focus on modeling specific woods.  My understanding is that different types of wood behave very differently and that even two samples of the same oak tree can behave very differently based on how the sample has been prepared, humidity, etc.