Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Auto-save, not working properly as back-up  (Read 2385 times)

Johan

• View Profile
Auto-save, not working properly as back-up
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:17 am »

Hi,

When PyroSim has a crash, it would be great to have some sort of backup, I understand that this is why there is a auto-save function. However, for this to work it needs to be implemented in a more user-friendly and intuitive way.

When there is a crash, most people will be eager to open the model they where working on and see how much they've lost. The next step is to look for the autosave file. I did this with the "Open..." function and I understand that this is when the program decided to "back-up" my file. Since the model I had open was the same as when the crash happened the result of this was that the auto-save that would have reduced the loss to 10 minutes has now been overwritten with an identical file as the one I last saved.

I suggest that there either is a function to look for the last auto-save when the program is opened after a crash, or perhaps it should be separate files when there is a crash or when the auto-save is from clicking "Open...".

Regards
Johan

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-save, not working properly as back-up
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:58 am »

It sounds like you understand all the backup files already, but just for the sake of being clear:

* The PS~ file (generated when you open a PSM file) is intended to protect against an interrupted File/Save operation that corrupts the PSM file. If PyroSim tries to open the PSM file and fails then you will be prompted to restore from the PS~ file.

* The periodic Autosave feature creates the ~mymodel.PSM file. This is the one that hits every 10 minutes (by default).

One thing that we don't account for is a situation where opening up a PSM file places PyroSim in a trap that inevitably leads to the same crash. Is this the situation you are having? If so, I'd really like to get a look at your PSM file so we can fix the bug that's causing the crash.