Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: having trouble getting a simulation to run  (Read 4656 times)

RBRUCE

• View Profile
having trouble getting a simulation to run
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:25:08 am »

i have a simulation that is geting to 1.5 seconds of simulation time and then it stops any suggestions

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: having trouble getting a simulation to run
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:15 am »

We recently released an updated version that includes a bug fix in the "string-pulling" algorithm. This bug caused some simulations to hang after they had gotten started. The release notes are here: Pathfinder 2011.1.0921

I could check if this is the problem you are having if I could see a picture of your safe mode console window contents, post-hang. I would also be happy to look at your PTH file and try to diagnose the problem. Can you upload it here or send it to support@thunderheadeng.com ?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:59:08 am »

Oops, I take that back. The string-pulling thing won't show up in the console window. I was thinking of a different one.

Regardless, I'm sure we could figure it out if you sent us your model.

RBRUCE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:45:41 am »

ok i could not send it through this website so i am sending it through email my email is rbruce@fpc-consultants.com

schiessh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:58:50 am »

I am also having a similar problem with my model. It goes through all the pre-simulation time and then stops 1.1 sec into the actual model run.

This is a very large model with 14,000 occupants, created in Pathfinder 2009. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:16:56 am »

You can always email your PTH file to support and we can take a look. However, right now all our full-time support people are going to Oregon for the SFPE conference, so doing this on the forum will probably be faster today.

When RBRUCE emailed the model to support, we found two issues:

(1) The default memory limit was too low. By default, we use 512MB, I was able to run the model as expected with 1200MB.To increase Pathfinder's memory limit:

• On the Start menu, right click the Pathfinder 2011 launcher and click Properties...
  • In the Target box, at the end, add a space after the last quote mark, then type "-mem1200" (see attached: memory.png).
  • Click OK
  • Launch Pathfinder using the modified launcher.

Pathfinder will only start with more memory when started from the modified launcher shortcut. If you double-click a file, it will use the default 512MB.

(2) In situations where occupants can walk under a low-clearance stairway (e.g. less than 6 ft), the occupants walking underneath can become entangled with the occupants on the stair. This can be difficult to see because we render occupants in the 3D results as shorter than the 6 ft collision box.

For now, the workaround is to cut out notches below stairways where you don't want people to walk. Unfortunately, we don't currently have either an automated tool to do this or a way for users to edit the 6 ft collision box at this time.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:20:49 am »

Also, if you are using Pathfinder 2009, please make sure that the "Use Hierarchical Path Planning" option is disabled (it's ON by default).

To disable Hierarchical Path Planning:

1. On the Simulation menu, click Simulation Parameters...
2. In the Simulation Parameters dialog, click the Paths tab.
3. Click to clear the Use Hierarchical Path Planning box

This option was eliminated in Pathfinder 2011.

schiessh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:43:57 am »

I increased my memory to 1200 and checked to make sure all of the exit stairs had sufficient clearance which they seem to have. Model still stops 1 second into the model run.

Given the large size I do have a large number of occupants who can no exit the building. I have done as much troubleshooting as I can to figure out why not, but can't figure out these ones until I can see where they are getting stuck. Could this possibly be preventing the model from running?

I am emailing the model in as well. (hschiess@rjagroup.com)