Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: multi processor  (Read 3921 times)

RBRUCE

• View Profile
multi processor
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »

are you going to be adding the abbility the do multi processor any time soon

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: multi processor
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:29:15 pm »

Pathfinder's solver has been parallel since version 2011.0.0420 (release notes). The parallel processing feature in that release has been present in every subsequent release and is part of the current release.

It doesn't jump out and get any attention because it's entirely behind the scenes. Basically, there are a few operations (initialization, pre-move, and update) that take a relatively long time for each occupant and we handle them in parallel. It's not perfect (i.e. linear speedup), but it helps a lot. Some of the other performance improvements we made in Pathfinder 2011 are covered in this blog post: Pathfinder Performance Improvements This post went up before we had the parallel solver.

RBRUCE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:54:50 pm »

then why does it show that it is only using 25 percent of my cpu

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:56 am »

I'll need more information to answer your question. I just tested the current release with the "IMO 11" V&V problem and it used 80% on my quad core. Are you able to share your model (PTH file) here or send it to support@thunderheadeng.com ?

RBRUCE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:50:05 am »

ok i sent you the file it is the same one as my other post but i dont think it is the file that is the problem i think it is either my computer or how your program interfaces my computer is the only things i can think of and i just downloaded the program less than a month ago