Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Pathfinder: Fatal Error  (Read 12793 times)

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
Pathfinder: Fatal Error
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

Recently upgraded severl adesktop sin our company with new Graphics Cards:
ATI Radeon HD4300(Latest Drivers from ATI website, Latest Catalyst APplication, Latest Direct X, OpenGl v 3.3)
-Open GL profiler says that OpenGL is supported on this graphics card and working from V1.1 to 4.1(screenshot attached)

Pathfinder crashed when opening models (screenshot attached)with a pictuer inserted in the background. Or if i try to insert a picture into the background the application crashes complaingn about video drivers. How can we solve this issue?

Richard O'Konski

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder: Fatal Error
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:18 am »

What version of Pathfinder are you using?  You can determine this by going to Help->About (assuming you can open Pathfinder at all).
Richard O'Konski
Thunderhead Engineering

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:53:17 pm »

V2009.2 Revision 2009.2.1028
(Windows XP SP3 (fully updated) x86)
Please see attached image

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:07:13 am »

They've managed to reproduce your trouble in the office using a newer machine with an ATI card. Though, only with relatively large background images (1400x900 worked, much bigger caused problems). Richard is still debugging - hopefully we'll have an answer soon.

What is the resolution of the background images you are using? The resolution relates directly to on-card memory requirements and different cards have different rules about the size increments you can use (e.g. powers of 2). Richard has it set up to do some tiling to fit images into the card's memory but maybe ATI hasn't got the drivers for their 4300 doing everything the way he expects them to.

If smaller images work but big ones don't, it would help us out if you could post an image that you know isn't working.

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »

Hi Charlie,thanks for helping us out...
Here is what i have found:
I created 4 images:
400x300
800x600
1200x900
1600x1200

ALl worked fine! I then grabbed i file i knew wsnt working, its dimensions are 1680*990. It failed but when i croped it to 800*600 it worked! HOWEVER, resizing the image did not help!!! i have attahced 2 images to this post for you to test:

Image that failed=test-1680x990.jpg
Same Croped file=test-800x600.jpg

Richard O'Konski

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:59:23 am »

Thanks for doing some debugging on your end. 

What you've found seems to confirm what we've seen in the office as well: each texture dimension must be a multiple of four on these ATI cards when using texture compression. 

I re-read the spec for the texture compression extension, and it turns out that it is a little vague about the rules when using texture compression.  In some spots it says that the image dimensions must be multiples of four, but then there is a note that if the card supports non-power-of-two textures (which your card does), the dimensions don't have to be multiples of four.  Apparently ATI just stuck with the multiple-of-four rule, however.

We'll incorporate fixes to our products in the coming months (there should be one soon for Pathfinder since we're currently on a release cycle for it).  In the meantime as a work-around, make sure your image dimensions are multiples of four, and you should be okay.
Richard O'Konski
Thunderhead Engineering

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:44:33 pm »

as a workaround for new files thats fine,but we cant open any project files made before this card was installed.please advise!

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:25:44 am »

Until we've released a fixed version, we'd be happy to remove the images from your files. Just email any affected PTH files to support@thunderheadeng.com and we'll remove remove any images and return the separated pieces. I'm sorry we haven't been able to find a better workaround (aside from switching to a different graphics card/driver).

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:19:30 pm »

Hi Charlie, im happy with the workaround for NEW project files, however we have hundreds of old project files we constantly refer to, we cant email them to you(privacy and confidentiality reasons aside) there would just be too many. Can you provide an ETA for your net service pack!

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:55 pm »

Try this:

In your Pathfinder 2009 install folder, there is a DLL called Pathfinder_jni.dll. Replace that file with this one:

http://www.thunderheadeng.net/special_downloads/patch-2009-1028/Pathfinder_jni.dll

That DLL includes an update that resizes the images to multiples of 4 and also disables MIP mapping. This has resolved the issue on our test machine. Let me know if it works for you. This assumes you are using the latest official release of Pathfinder - 2009-1028.

If you'd like to be extra safe, create a backup of your existing Pathfinder_jni.dll before you overwrite it.

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:28:17 pm »

Patching it with the DLL file fixed the problem, thank you very much!

On the same topic (but wrong part of the forum), we have the same issue with Pyrosim (which is located on another machine which was upgraded with the same graphics card as the one in this thread). Can this DLL file fix be used to resolve this problem with Pyrosim as well?

Richard O'Konski

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:19 am »

This dll will not work with PyroSim.  We'll be releasing a patch for it later today.
Richard O'Konski
Thunderhead Engineering

pcatmelbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 06:30:42 pm »

It's been a few days since the last reply and I have not been able to find a patch for PyroSim on your website or on the forum?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:36:33 am »

Thank you for reminding me. I've posted a new version of PyroSim.

http://www.thunderheadeng.com/category/pyrosim-release-notes/