Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Error by starting FDS in Pyrosim: Error: BNDF QUANTiTY MASS LOSS not found  (Read 5043 times)

BVsimulator

• View Profile

hi mebers,

i'm new. I have a problem by starting an input fds file in pyrosim 2010.147. I open a file name.fds in pyrosim. Then I go on the FDS menue and click Run FDS.... The opens a window where I have to choose a Locatio to Save the FDS Data File - is that procedure normal?

OK then I save the file.  OK a new window opens its the FDS Simulation programm. I use FDS Version 5.

In the window stands:

Starting FDS: C:\Program Files\PyroSim 2010\fds\fds5_win64.exe...

ERROR: BNDF QUANTITY MASS LOSS not found

Starting Smokeview: C:\Program Files\PyroSim 2010\fds\smokeview.exe...

Can you help me? What I have to ?

thanks

regards
BVsimulator

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile

It's possible that the MASS LOSS output quantity is no longer supported by FDS, but PyroSim is still presenting it as an option. The manual doesn't appear to list it as an available quantity to track. If this is the case, turn off boundary quantity output for MASS LOSS to work around this bug.

Alternately, I'm told that you may need something in the model that is losing mass for the quantity to work. Are you using any layered surfaces that would burn up (or burners that use mass loss) - giving a useful value for this quantity?

BVsimulator

• View Profile

I will try it. Can you explain me what exactly is the meaning of quantity mass?

thanks

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile

I don't know what you're asking. Can I assume that a technical term isn't translating very well?

FDS has the concept of measurement "quantities" (i.e. physical properties that can be measured). One of these measurable quantities is "MASS LOSS" (i.e. how much mass a surface has lost due to pyrolysis). If the word "mass" - used here in isolation - is giving you trouble, here is the wikipedia entry.

BVsimulator

• View Profile

that was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for your help