Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Rotation of background images  (Read 3016 times)

ukjxm053

• View Profile
Rotation of background images
« on: February 25, 2011, 03:58:44 am »

Hi Pyrosim developers.

I have been a Pyrosim user for some time. When I input an image as a background image, the software automatically use the anchor point as the original point of the coordinate system and screes horizontal direction as the x-direction. If I have an area in a building that is rectagular but none of the wall is horizontal, it will create step-shape walls which I do not like. To solve the problem, I had to use an image editor to rotate the floor plan so that the rectangular sides parallel to the x- and y- coordinates. I wonder, is it difficult to add one function (preferably as an option) in the image input window to allow the user to define the x-direction? Then Pyrosim automatically rotate the background image. This can make the software more flexible.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Rotation of background images
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:19:35 am »

Great idea, thanks! I've added the feature request to our issue tracker.

paddyfire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »

Hi there
Is there a way to rotate the background so that I can set it in the z-direction? ie insert a section instead of a floor plan as the background.
Reason for this is, I am building a tunnel and the important dimensions/obstructions are the cross-sections.
The only way I can do this at the moment is to build the geometry vertically and then hope I can rotate the whole thing in the x-direction.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
PF

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:12:21 am »

Unfortunately, PyroSim limits the background images to the top-down view. Here are a few ideas for workarounds:

1. (as you said) Build the geometry on its side, then rotate.

2. Change the gravity vector. This should give you the same result as rotating the geometry, but without changing the geometry - which can cause PyroSim to treat geometric objects as more generic geometric objects and make them more difficult to work with.

3. You can add an obstruction and put the background image texture on it. I think this will only work if you only need to view your design from one side. You also need to remember to delete or disable the obstruction.