Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Pathfinder new release  (Read 8585 times)

Walther Groenewald

• View Profile
Pathfinder new release
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:55:17 am »

Bryan has asked for some comments on teh planned new release of Pathfinder. So here goes: It will be great if occupants that queue at an exit door can move to another exit door if they can see that the queue is shorter at that door.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder new release
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:57:38 am »

Thanks. We''ve been working on exactly that for the last week or so. I''m hoping to post some videos about the new "locally quickest" approach we''re using as soon as it''s polished enough to show off. Coming soon...

JWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:07:05 am »

Yep, this is a much wanted feature (always annoying to see occupants waiting in que in front of one door when a free  alternative open door is right beside ), so I welcome it highly :-) Also, the possibility of displaying resultdata from FDS (slices / isosurfaces etc) is also very interesting!

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:52 am »

The hope is to add the ability to load FDS slice data and display it on top of the 3D results. That bit is scheduled for the third "phase" of development for this release.

If all goes well, we are going to be using a blog function of our new website content management system to keep everyone up to date. There is only one post so far, but if you are interested, you can find the Pathfinder blog here:

http://www.thunderheadeng.com/category/pathfinder/

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:08:04 pm »

Very excited to try out these features, particularly the movement scripting. Setting specific paths for occupants will be a significant advantage.

enronc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:17:15 am »

Dear friends, Charlie,

I see the videos about the divided door feature and I think it will be a great improvement for the software.
I would like to share with you a couple of other features that I would like to see in Pathfinder in the future (as I said to Charlie, we are currently running at Evacmod.net a survey on this purpose, investigating the future develpments of the evacuation models in general). Here there are some personal needs:

- fire data importing, hopefully with the implementation of FED values too
- sub-models for herding behaviour (I know there is still a lack of experimental literature about human behaviour in many environments, but every attempt to model this complex phenomen is more than welcome)
- different degrees of exit awareness for the agents (a stochastic algorithm for the door selection would be ideal)
- possibility to implement disabled people (it could be great if the modeller can choose if an agent is able or not to use an element e.g. stairs, certain doors, etc.)
- time-dependent element such as vehicles, elevators, escalators, etc.
- the possibility to change in real time the walking speed of the occupants (due to fatigue or other factors)
- the possibility to simulate "staff agents" that will help other occupants during the evacuation (some agent would be part of the "staff" helping the other agents, i.e. not all the evacuation processes are self-rescue).

I know that part of these features are still hard to reproduce (e.g. all the problems related to Human Behaviour still need a lot of experimental work) but I hope these ideas could be of help for you.

Regards,
Enrico

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »

Hi Charlie,

Something that could be useful would be the ability to have "locked" doors. ie people go to the door, find it locked or unusable and re-evaluate their path.

Colin

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »

For the locked doors idea, how would you use that approach vs just getting rid of the door? I figure you're probably thinking about modeling the behavior of people exploring a building, looking for exits, but I'm not clear how modeling that would help in a scenario analysis.

For fun, here's a video of our "mixed-sizes" test case that shows an occupant realizing that it cannot fit through a room and turning back. Mixing sizes can give some cute results because the distance estimator assumes that it can use any path the smallest occupant can fit through. With the new locally quickest code, occupants actually have to be in a room before they can override the estimator with their own understanding of what they can fit through.

CWU@LMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:23:34 pm »

Hi Charlie,

i think using this vs. just getting rid of a door would force people down a "dead end corridor" and you could evaluate the time.

For my uses it would be something to show authorities visually rather than calcs. I do see how this could be done using the "fat" circles.

also where do you want feedback on the 2011 beta?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:12:07 am »

I just created a topic for comments on the current beta:

http://www.thunderheadeng.net/forum/index.php/topic,1134.0.html

Thank you for the extra information on the dead end scenario.

enronc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 03:10:34 pm »

Dear friends,

I was taking a look at the new updates of Pathfinder and I saw your new feature of waypoint scripting: http://www.thunderheadeng.com/2011/02/pathfinder-2011-beta-2-progress/

I think it is a great improvement to the model and it will permit to simulate the "staff agents" (and consequently non self-rescue evacuation processes) I was talking about in this post. Great to see that you pay attention to the needs of evacuation modellers!
When have you planned to release this feature?

Cheers,
Enrico

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:16 am »

Last week, we had planned for Wednesday the 13th (two days ago), but we decided that it still needed a bit more refinement before we could post the updated beta. It should be ready in a matter of days.

I'm happy we have some modellers that are willing to give us feedback. Thanks!