Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: Problem with MPI process  (Read 10729 times)

Dallion

• View Profile
Problem with MPI process
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:31:43 pm »

Hi everyone,
i am writing here because i tried many ways but it seems that it won''t be solved..atlest by myself.
When i am starting a FDS MPI elaboration of data it always stops telling me that there is an error.
Error is this ERROR: The file, C:.....B.fds, does not exist in the current directory
But the file is there!
If i run the OpenMP way all seems to work but it''s extremelly slow, the single core process is a way faster than open MP.
my OS is windows 7 64 bit, cpu intel core duo 2.93GHz, 4Gb Ram
Someone could help me? thanx.

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with MPI process
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:43:59 am »

What folder exactly are you trying to run the FDS problem in? In Windows 7, anything stored in the Program Files/ tree will get "virtualized" (stored in a different, secret location which Windows will pretend is the original location for the app that does the storing, but not for others).

Dallion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:09:20 pm »

Thanx for answer, the file was stored in a folder on the desktop! C:/Users/.../Desktop/B/B.fds 

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »

Are you running MPI via PyroSim or at the command line? The command line sometimes needs full path names depending on how you run it.

Dallion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:48:24 am »

I try to running it via Pyrosim and still getting the same error , file *.fds does not exist in the current directory!
From command line i type it exactly but the fds MPI exe won''t start if mpich2 isn''t installed and set up on the pc, now i tried but i don''t understand much how that mpich works..so i tried the pyrosim way thinking that probably it was somehow just setup for work in MPI. Probably i don''t run it correctly...but i don''t know where is the problem :(

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:23 am »

I have two ideas we can try:

[1] Run PyroSim in safe mode, try to do an MPI run, when it fails, take a screenshot of the error message and the safe mode console output. Post the screenshot.

[2] Have a look at the Troubleshooting section of the PyroSim Users Manual, under MPI Problems:

http://www.thunderheadeng.com/downloads/pyrosim/manual-html/ch20.html#d0e7440

You probably don''t need to do the -remove -register steps, but make sure the -validate call works properly and try to run fds5_mpi manually. If you see any error messages, post them.

Dallion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »

Ok i''''''''ve already check the troubleshooting and set the access for the account (first screen-NE6)
Then i tried to run it in safe mode, it start then come out the error but seems the processes still run and on the safe mode windows it says just "success" but, the CPU is only at 1% and the RAM usage never change, i let it run like that for 1 hour, nothing changes just the time elapsed increase , that''''''''s all. Then i''''''''ve killed the process and get the "FDS exit code: -1" on the safe mode dos window, i tried it several times..but allways is the same (screens NE2-NE5)
Then i''''''''ve run it in normal mode and few seconds after start i get the error message than the message of FDS stops and the processes end. (last screen- NE4)

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:46:47 am »

I have no idea...

I''ll try to get someone else around the office to take a look.

Dallion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 09:23:46 am »

Thanx!

Brian

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile
    • Thunderhead Engineering
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:37:41 am »

Please try running one the sample problems in MPI parallel mode to make sure your computer configuration is correct.  Copy C:\Program Files\PyroSim 2010\samplesFDS5\hallways.fds to a folder in your documents or on your desktop and import the file into PyroSim.  Save the file as hallways.psm and start a parallel run.  Let us know if the problem runs, or if you get the same file not found error as with your model.

Regards,
Brian
Thunderhead Engineering

Dallion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 06:54:06 pm »

I did as u suggest...but having always the same error ( as i show at screen NE7) and the safe mode just say" FDS exit code : 0 "
:(