Thunderhead Engineering Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum moved to https://forum.thunderheadeng.com

Author Topic: FAQ: Can I get a discount on a license for educational/research purposes?  (Read 4731 times)

Ashley Riggs

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile

I am currently taking a class which involves conducting research about fire modeling. PyroSim would be the ideal software for my experiments. I was wondering if Thunderhead Engineering offers any discounts for people using the software for educational or research purposes?

Ashley Riggs

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile

Thunderhead Engineering offers free licenses for customers using PyroSim for non-commercial purposes.

To apply for an academic license of PyroSim, you or a representative from your university must fill out our application packet.

http://www.pyrosim.com/academic_license_packet.doc

You can email or fax the completed packet to sales@thunderheadeng.com or +1 785 770 8511.

augustas83

And what about Authorities responsible for Fire Safety, does Thunderhead Engineering offers any discounts for such institutions?

Charlie Thornton

• Thunderhead
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, no.  We don't currently have any sort of discount program for anyone other than students.

Maybe this is an oversight because we don't know enough about the field.  When I hear "Authorities responsible for Fire Safety", I only have a vague idea of who we're talking about - fire chief seems like a safe answer...  Primarily, my experience is with consultants (FPEs).  I've also met people who use simulation software to try to figure out what happened after the fact.  I've heard the term Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) used to describe the person that ultimately signs off on building designs (i.e. the person that the consultant must convince), but I've never really had a conversation with any AHJs.  Is that who we're talking about here?

- Charlie

augustas83

I was talking about State Department responsible for fire safety -> Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), it could be a good tool as you say to help in great fire investigations, or list requirements in extraordinary projects when regulations are not covering the case. Anyway thanks for your answer, i understand.  :)